Saturday, October 31, 2015

Reading that Leads to Succeeding



I have always been a reader.  I have always loved sinking into a new book, devouring it's pages, and engaging my mind in a world of words.  Even in today's technology driven world, which literally puts print at our finger tips, I still enjoy going to the public library and thumbing through the pages of a hardback book. Yep...even the smell of a book gets me every time!

When I became a teacher (not too long ago),  there definitely was not as much time for recreational reading, especially during the school year. But at least I got to read professional literature that was assigned to me at work.  It reminded me a lot of college and textbooks that I would read for class.  It was good reading, but honestly, I was not connected.  I was reading the words, but not taking in the meaning.   It wasn't until a few years into my teaching career that I FOUND reading again.  Actually, I found MEANING for reading in my profession.

At the time, I was teaching at a Title I school.  My kiddos were absolutely precious, but they came to me with baggage that a fairly new teacher was not prepared for.  I remember one particular year that I got my class list and every single child on my list had been retained at some point before coming to third grade.  With 100% of my class being at-risk, I honestly did not know what to do.  That's when I picked up a book.  It was not a book that was assigned to me, but a book that I picked up out of necessity. It was a book that I needed to build an understanding, to learn from, and to guide me.  I took ownership of my learning and from it, I took great meaning.  The book that I picked up that day was, A Framework for Understanding Poverty by: Ruby Payne.  I remember reading this book, and calling my Mom so excited to tell her that it made so much sense to me.  It made sense, because it was relevant to my classroom.  It gave me ideas, understanding, and purpose.  I have gone back to that book many times in my career, but I will always remember that book for being my first stepping stone towards being a reader in my profession. (A.K.A A Professional Reader)

That stepping stone has since led to many other great professional books that I have sought out during my years of teaching. This summer I read a book called, Mentoring Matters by: Orrin Woodward.  He started one of his chapters with a famous quote from Dr. Seuss:
The more that you read, the more things you will know.  The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Makes sense, doesn't it? Thanks Dr. Seuss.  The title to that chapter was called, Utilize Great Books.  One of my favorite excerpts from that chapter states: Great books are the mentors of great thinking, and no skill is more valuable to leadership than effective thinking (Woodward 36). 
So, this book got me thinking...and then I realized--mission accomplished.

I know that time is of the essence when you are a teacher.  Trust me.  I know.  But I challenge you to pick up that book.  Seek out guidance and knowledge in the trusted words of great leaders and teachers from all over the world. Their experiences can only add to your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment